• Fall production and Maternity leave

    Fall production and Maternity leave

    As Marina prepares for the arrival of the newest member of team Anhaica, you might have noticed a few changes. We are no longer accepting custom orders and all listed stock in now ready to ship. The best way to stay in touch about when custom orders are open again or pre-ordering sold out items is to sign up for our newsletter on the "contact" page, we also update over on instagram @anhaica
    .For the next few months we will have none-to little restocking of the online or physical shop, so make sure you snag your Christmas presents early! We do always have gift certificates available in any amount. The show room will remain open during regular hours 10-5pm on Friday and 11-5pm on Saturday, so make sure and stop by to see Adriana. She will also be keeping our shipping on schedule and be handling most customer service issues.

  • Babymoon Biketour

    Babymoon Biketour

    It has been a few days since we got back back from our baby moon bike tour and I wanted to get down a re-cap while the memories are still fresh. While researching for the trip I didn't come across many resources for bike touring while pregnant, so I knew I wanted to put my experience out there.

    We had a three week trip with a short tour at the end, we visited friends and biked around Philadelphia and NYC before heading to Pittsburgh to ride the GAP and C&O canal path to DC. We covered a little over 350 miles in 7 days.

    Almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I started planning for a bike tour. I knew that the further along I got the less comfortable travel and biking would become but I couldn't imagine not taking some sort of bike trip this summer, as it will most likely be a year or so before I can take off on another.  I also had no idea how my body would hold up to multiple days on the bike. With all that in mind we starting thinking about routes and dates.
    We ending up choosing to bike from Pittsburgh to DC, which was a route we had been wanting to do regardless and allowed us the visit friends. I was comfortable with this route for a number of reasons, it is all "off road" no car exhaust or dealing with traffic, ample free camping sites averaging within 20 miles of each other and we have had tons of friends who had done the trail who could give us advice.

    We decided to give ourselves 10 days to ride 350 miles, figuring that an average of 35 miles a day was lenient. We also made sure to acknowledge and talk about the fact that I might not be able to handle even that mileage and we needed to be OK with stopping and finding alternative transportation to DC. I think having open communication with Justin about how I was feeling mentally and physically was the most important thing to having a successful tour. I wanted us to set realistic goals but also backup plans and in general focus on having fun versus mileage.

    The day we starting in Pittsburgh it was pouring and had been for the week before, the river had swollen its banks and the crushed gravel trail was very tacky. Gathering groceries and navigating out of town during the downpour took us most of the day and we only ended up 25 miles down the GAP trail but we pulled in at 5pm and had plenty of time to dry out and cook up dinner, we took major advantage of the covered picnic area and even slept on the tables so that we could avoid having a soaking tent in the morning! The first night I slept pretty great despite some rude fellow campers who can in at 2am with full lights and very loud conversation.

    Day 2 was much drier though overcast. We decided to try and make it to Ohiopyle, a 50 mile goal. I was feeling good and we kept hearing about how fantastic the campground was and it seemed like every cyclist we saw was headed there for the night. I had a pretty rough and slow day, I attribute a lot of that to grade which was 2%, false flats always wear me down mentally and the tacky surface of the trail. We stopped for frozen yogurt and I was able to push it onward for the last 15 miles. When we got to the campground entrance we ended up getting pretty confused by the registration signs, so we headed into town to ask at the visitors center. Right as we pulled up it started raining pretty hard again and the help desk advised us against using the campground which would have required us to haul our bikes up a very long, steep, rooty and muddy trail and instead pointed us to the friendly folks at a river rafting company. The put us up on a wooden tent platform and let us use the hot showers, we couldn't complain even though we had just feet between us and an active train line. This was the first bad night of the trip for me, I have found that being pregnant allows you to worry like crazy about any and everything and middle of the night worries are especially irrational, I became convinced in the middle of the night that I was making the baby deaf by sleeping so close to the loud train! Luckily the morning light and a more calm rational partner was able to talk me out of that train of thought.

    The next few days we continued to have good luck with the weather and trail conditions, we didn't push it very hard or far and ended the GAP after 4 days.  My body was starting to hurt at night, I desperately wanted to sleep on my back but was worried about compressing my vena cava so I had to switch from hip to hip. I also couldn't stop obsessing over the babies movements and was convinced that they were moving less, I spent the first night on the C&O trail crying to myself for hours in the tent while Justin slept. Again in the morning, I was fine. The middle of the night wake up and panic had to stop, I decided I needed more snacks, longer breaks and to spend more time focusing on fetal movements. Since we weren't traveling very far each day we had no reason to not stop for 1/2 long breaks every few hours, we had been getting into camp hours before nightfall which wasn't really necessary. 

    I felt so much better the next few days after this decision, the worrying stopped and I started having more fun!

    We ended up splurging for a hotel in Shepardstown after the campsite we rolled up to turned out to be a big mud pit and the water pump was broken. We decided to pretend like it was my birthday 2 weeks early and just go for it. IT WAS HEAVEN. Justin went and got Chinese take out and we ate it on the bed watching Cowboys vs Aliens, I had two showers and a bath, did all the dirty laundry and had an amazing nights sleep. When we woke up in the morning we had the free continental breakfast and then went into town for another breakfast and to pick up pastries for our third breakfast! We planned to ride about 44 miles and make it to one of the last campsites on the C&O before DC, a mere 26 miles from finishing. We had a very leisurly morning and early afternoon stopping often to pick wine berries, dip our toes and relax. At about 3 pm we pulled up to Whites Ferry and Justin gave me a temperature check, I felt GREAT. I was good to go to camp but I also was positive I could make it all the way to DC if we wanted to. After checking the weather and realizing that a huge storm was coming in during the night and having spent a large portion of the past few days cleaning out Justin's fenders from the already muddy trail we decided to just go for it and finish up, riding a total of over 80 miles for the day. I just got into this incredible rhythm and felt the muddy trail just fly under my wheels. I felt so strong and fast...until night fell and we entered DC. I had not prepared myself for the last few miles biking through town and a particularly long and steep climb right at the end had me in tears, it was the only response my body had left! But we got in to our amazing host, ordered pizza, took showers and by midnight, I was A-ok.

    All in all we had a really great tour with few surprises. One of the only annoying things was how often I had to stop and pee, it was no joke every 2-3 miles, the combination of tight shorts and posture had my bladder squished to about the 9 month stage. Luckily Justin just took this in stride, as something that just needed to happen and he never once complained about the frequent stops. I attribute how much fun and how little complications we had to having a partner with me on the trip who was so understanding. The last thing we are when pregnant is weak and helpless, I didn't need someone who was going to second guess my bodies ability but I did need someone who would help me check in and make sure I was doing OK, while never making me feel like I was holding him back. Every time I needed to stop and eat, we did, with no judgment about how far or how long we had gone. But he was also gently encouraging, which allowed me to push myself harder.

    I would really recommend that anyone who has experience bike touring continue to do so through their pregnancy, as long as they plan on setting realistic mileage goals with backup plans and have a supportive riding partner with good communication skills. We just had a checkup with our midwife and at 25 weeks the baby is healthy and growing, I am measuring 27 weeks along and feeling like this trip allowed me to get further in touch with the changes happening to my body, with the baby and with my partner. I can't wait to start planning our first family tour with baby!

  • Touring line

    Touring line

    So at long last we have touring gear! I have been making these pieces for a few years as custom orders and prototypes, slowly tweaking and refining them.

    A few weeks ago I released them for pre-sale but we didn't have any new photos of them so last week Justin and I set out with local photographer Alicia Osborne to get some shots. We got to play around on the St. Marks trail right after a controlled burn.

    We are also giving away both a set of the rear raid panniers and front highlands panniers over on instagram, so be sure and go enter!

  • Double chocolate maca balls

    Double chocolate maca balls

    There is just something about chocolate that can get ya going. When I am bonking, chocolate is the thing I reach for to pick me up fast.

    These balls are a high energy sweet treat packed with performance super foods like maca and hemp seeds . Easy to pack along on adventures and easy to whip up.


    1 cup raw almonds

    1/2 cup raw hemp seeds

    3 cups raw and pitted dates

    1/2 cup shredded coconut

    1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil

    1/4 cup of powdered maca

    1/2 cup cocoa powder

    1/2 cup brown rice syrup

    1/2 cup cacao nibs ( optional)

    Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until the mixture comes together, you can add more brown rice syrup if it is too dry.

    Form the mixture into balls or roll out and cut into square. If you want and its recommended roll them in cacao nibs for more chocolate goodness and some crunch.

  • Perfect Camp Oatmeal

    I love food. Like really really love it. So when I travel, it is important that I think ahead about it. The last thing I want is to be "grocery shopping" at the only gas station for miles around.

    For the mornings, I really like oatmeal. I never get tired of it, and it’s light and quick to cook.

    Here is my recipe for the perfect camp oats:

    Quick oats- about 1 cup per person per day

    Add about a tsp of Maca powder per serving, a table spoon each of hemp seeds and chia seeds per serving, about 1/8 of a cup of pecans per serving and 1/8 of a cup of dried mulberries.

    Boil an equal amount of water to oats you want to cook, pour the boiling water over the dried oats and let sit covered for a minute or two depending on how hungry you are!

    Hemp seeds are considered one of natures perfect foods and pack a ton of protein and essential fatty acids to help reduce inflammation — super important when you are working that body hard!

    Chia seeds have a great mix of protein, carbs, fat and fiber. Plus they look like frogs legs when you soak them! A nutritional powerhouse that’s a welcome addition to almost anything I eat.

    Maca is used for increasing energy and stamina but is not well studied and you should be a bit careful with consuming large amounts. I like its caramel flavor.

    Mulberries contain IRON, yeah that’s right, iron in a berry. That’s pretty amazing right? So along with the vitamins and phyto nutrients it contains, that puts it right up there on my list of power house foods. I dehydrate them while they are in season but you can also buy them dried online.

  • Solo Seven Hills to the Sea

    Solo Seven Hills to the Sea

    Last Monday I set off on my first ever solo tour, actually my first ever solo trip of any kind. Although this was a short adventure, setting off all on my own had a lot of significance for me. I had always traveled with a friend, my family or a lover. I wanted to connect with myself in a new way by traveling and pushing myself - with only myself around. So I took off on a modified Seven Hills to the Sea route.

    I pushed southward towards Lanark Village the first day, leaving at noon and going a total of 50 miles. I stayed at my parent’s vacation house.

    The second day was Lanark to Cape San Blas/ St. Joseph state park, by far the hardest day of riding with long bridges and lots of wind. It was about 60ish miles. I set up and barely got out to the beach in time to catch the sunset. By the time I crawled into the tent, I was exhausted, but sleep did not come easy. I had a rather pesky raccoon that was really interested in my peanut butter and at one point during the night, was under my vestibule also chasing me with my pants dropped to my waist. I also learned that I had accidentally grabbed Justin’s warm weather sleeping bag instead of my own. This would prove rather dangerous later.

    It was hard to leave the beach the next day with blue skies and empty sand. I got a slow start before moving onto Dead Lakes. It was about 50 miles to the park and a lot of that was on some of the most boring roads I have ever ridden, straight and flat for miles and miles.

    With the temperatures set to dip down into the teens, I was pretty worried about getting too cold. Luckily right when I got to the park, I met Bob the camp host and not only did he let me stay for free, he also let me sleep in a heated room. It was basically a concrete building wrapped in plastic but it had a heater and the room didn’t dip below freezing.

    The next morning I woke up and read in my sleeping bag until I couldn't read anymore, trying to stay warm. It didn’t get above freezing until1pm. I had my solo coffee and oatmeal and started calling folks. I needed to make a decision about going home or staying out another night. After talking to the ranger at Torreya State Park (my next stop) I decided to go ahead and ride the 76 miles home and shorten my trip. The only protected space Torreya could give me was a $45 yurt, and that seemed a little expensive and silly when I can go camping there anytime for $5 when its not freezing and I have the right gear!

    After battling crazy cold headwind for a few hours in the morning and realizing I hadn’t gone far fast, I called my mom. There was no way I was going to make it to town before dark. She picked me up a few miles outside of Tallahassee and we ended the day with huge bowls of Pho.

    Obviously not everything went as planned, but I think the most amazing thing is that it was simply no big deal. I kept expecting to feel lonely or nervous or scared about being alone, but I never did. I hope to have many more of these solo trips in my future!


    Tallahassee to Lanark - Highway 319 south towards Sopchoppy, joins Hwy 98 at the coast and ride West.

    Lanark to the Cape- Hwy 98 most of the day until you hit county road 30 follow taht for 13 miles and you will see a left turn onto Cape San Blas rd, this dead ends into the park after 6 miles.

    Cape to Dead Lakes- Ride back to Fl-30 but take a left when you get there. In about 7 miles you will rejoin with 98, ride into the town of St. Joe and take a right at Fl-71. Take 71 for 27 miles until you see a wooden sign for Dead Lakes park on your right.

    Dead Lakes to Tallahassee- Take Fl-71 North until you hit Blountstown, where you will take a right onto Hwy 20. Heading East, that will take you right back into town.

  • Sunday Rides

    Sunday Rides

    As we exit 2014, I want to remind myself to take time to ride more often. It doesn't have to be an epic adventure, it can just be loop around town. Sunday we did just that, heading south of town via the St.Marks trail and then catching Capitol Circle heading NE, rode thru Tom Brown park on the multi-use dirt trails, exited over the new bike bridge and came out on the greenway. We took the goosepond trail and miccosukee road back home. A beautiful probably 15ish miles and a wonderful way to end the week.

  • 4c071025c78965da-image_5.jpeg

    I love putting up food.  I spend long hot hours canning jams and pickles, I can ferment with the best of them but lately I have been putting in a lot of quality time with my dehydrator. Dehydrated food is a powerful ingredient in a travel food pantry. After long days and many miles food is usually the only thing on your mind, and its important. We can't expect to our bodies to love us if we don't fuel them right.

    Dehydrated food is not only awesome because it packs small and light, it also can add a gourmet touch to an otherwise repetitious bowl of couscous or oatmeal, adding tons of favor and nutrients.

    When done right dehydrating your own food can allow you to pack gourmet meals without raising the grocery bill. Harvesting tons of free local food in season and then storing it throughout the coming year can mean major savings.

    Right now in my pantry I have the last of the previous summers chanterelle mushrooms, hot peppers and tomatoes, my mouth starts to water thinking about a quick pilaf studded with those goodies gathered in seasons past. 

    A bowl of oatmeal packed with persimmons, mulberries and star fruit, sounds killer but it also full of fiber, potassium, magnesium, protein, iron, vitamin c, b- vitamins and more. 

    I can not praise my dehyrdator enough for is contribution to lowering my food cost and allowing me to indulge in my favorite foods out of season and on the road.

    I recommend a dehyrator with a horizontal fan and a temperature setting. I have an Excalibur, and I highly recommend it. I would just dive right in, gather a bunch of fresh herbs from your garden or ask a neighbor if you can raid their loquat tree. Lay the herbs/fruit or veg in a single layer and rotate often. In the south the humidity can quickly spoil the finished product if it is not all the way dried. If you have the space and plan on storing for a long time, storing them in the refridgerator can help ward off mold. I store in tightly sealed mason jars and keep a vigilant eye out for spoilage.

  • Weekend trips to watch friends get hitched

    Weekend trips to watch friends get hitched

    Just this past weekend I had the great pleasure of being invited to witness some amazing folks get married. The wedding was located at a camp ground in Maryland near Shepardstown WV. I had a whole day in DC before getting picked up by my travel buddies and I spent it museum hopping.

    I didn't get a chance to check out the entirety of the National Museum of the American Indian but by far these were my favorite artifacts. Of course I forgot to write down anything about them, but just look at those faces!

    I spent the largest chunk of my day in the United States Botanic Garden. The weather was amazing and it felt wonderful to be able to walk around the outdoor exhibits as well as the different fauna climates. It was hard to leave.

    I spent the next few hours racing around the Hirshhorn Museum, the Natural History Museum ( the crystal rooms...unbelievable) and the National Gallery of Art. We walked around Duluth Square, ate Ethiopian food and watched a brass band.

    We finally made it to Shepardstown WV around 2am, where we settled into a funky little airbnb cottage. Needless to say, no-one slept in the room next to mine, the dolls in the above picture were just a few of the creep delights. The town was appropriately quaint and we witnessed a late May Day parade.

    The wedding itself took place about twenty minutes away at Maple Tree campground. They roasted an entire pig ( I ate the tempeh and it was wonderful) , the ceremony was beautiful and we all sang Pete Seeger.

    The power went off and we kept dancing, there was karaoke to Bonnie Raitt and I might have eaten three cupcakes.

    Maine grown corn helped us snack the night away

    The next morning our a few of our crew woke up in a pretty rough state but I of course woke up feeling great and took off for a solo hike along the Potomac river, I got to peruse for 5 miles along the slightly swampy river beds and spring wild flowers before heading to meet up with everyone else and catch our flights home.